The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) hires consultants to support the development and implementation of its projects, programs, and management systems.
CIDA requires consultant support under the following headings:
- Generally assist in the country program review process. Specifically assist in sector reviews, thematic reviews, and analyses of various institutions in a country or region.
- Design assistance strategies and programs that CIDA could adopt. With recipient countries, help to prepare the development policy framework and memorandum of understanding.
- Help to prepare procedure manuals and briefing notes for bilateral, semi-annual, and annual consultations and for donor group meetings.
- Help the project team to plan projects using the results-based management approach. Conduct feasibility studies. Prepare planning documents, such as the concept paper, project approval document and annexes, and management plan, including the logic framework and activity structure.
- Help the project manager manage projects. Duties include the following items. Review and analyze annual project implementation plans. Review and analyze quarterly and annual reports submitted by project-executing agencies. Handle correspondence among CIDA, executing agencies, and various partners. Prepare briefing notes/books on various projects managed by CIDA. Attend meetings. Prepare minutes. Update files. Define terms of reference for various consulting assignments. Close out projects.
- As a management or technical expert, take part in performance-measurement activities and project or program performance-review activities, including midterm or end-of-project evaluations, operational or institutional reviews, management or financial audits, and annual project-monitoring assignments. This heading also includes preparing monitoring and evaluation frameworks based on the results-based management approach.
- Provide support in CIDA contracting management. In cooperation with the project team, prepare the ''Description of Work'' and request for proposal (RFP) documents. Help to evaluate RFPs. Help to prepare the negotiation strategy and to negotiate contracts.
- Act as a technical expert for professional specialists and project managers in CIDA's various priority areas of intervention.
- Analyze CIDA's various policy issues. Help to prepare new policies. Prepare terms and conditions, manuals, and guides for CIDA programs and projects.
- Direct research and special studies related to CIDA programs and projects.
- Help to improve program and project management information systems. Help to design, develop, and implement computer-based tools to be used in managing CIDA's development-assistance projects and programs.
- Coordinate visits. Organize conferences. Provide logistical services to CIDA project managers for these visits and conferences.
- Design, develop, and/or implement training programs for CIDA staff and project executing-agency staff to make CIDA programs and projects more efficient and effective.
- Translate and edit specialized documents in the field of international development. Prepare communications documents for CIDA projects and programs.