The mandate of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada includes:
- Managing Canada's support and resources effectively and accountably to achieve meaningful, sustainable results.
- Engaging in policy development in Canada and internationally, enabling Canada's effort to realize its development objectives.
The Government of Canada is committed to making its international assistance more efficient, focused and accountable. A key element of this aid effectiveness agenda is transparency. As such, the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) is fully committed to make public useful information to enhance its transparency and accountability.
Canada's international development priorities and results
Canada's international development commitments
Canada's international development programs and projects
- Canada achieves development results through its different programs and projects around the world by working:
- Canada responds to a variety of critical humanitarian needs around the world, working in coordination with other government departments and key humanitarian partners.
- Summaries of programming strategies have been posted for each of the international development countries of focus and key multilateral partners.
- A searchable database of international development projects funded by the former CIDA is available through the Project Browser. Under each project, users can find:
- a brief description of the project, along with the former CIDA's maximum contribution in Canadian dollars
- the name of the organization responsible for executing the project
- the status and start and end date of the project
- the country or countries where the project is taking place
- expected results
- progress and results achieved
- DFATD issues stories from the field to inform Canadians on projects and to illustrate the work being done with partners.
- Through geo-mapping, Canadians can review interactive maps of Government of Canada-funded development projects.
Canada's international development assistance is accountable
- Canada uses Results-based management integrating strategy, people, resources, processes, and measurements to continuously improve decision-making, transparency, and accountability.
- Canada conducts evaluations on all of its international development programs to continuously improve design, delivery and results.
- An External Departmental Audit Committee regularly performs audits of Canada's international development programs to ensure effective, efficient, and prudent use of resources.
- DFATD adheres to the proactive disclosure of financial and human resources-related information for government departments and agencies.
- Completed access to information requests are published each month.
Note: If you cannot access the documents that are provided in an alternate format, refer to the Help page.