|Organization:||Canadian Institute of Planners / Institut Canadien des urbanistes|
|Type:||Professional or membership organization|
|Mandate:||CIP is a collaborative national federation that advances professional planning excellence through the delivery of membership and public services in Canada and abroad. It represents and supports approximately 7,000 professional planners and is the national advocate for securing, as a benefit to all generations, the creation of healthy, sustainable and liveable communities and natural environments through effective planning and the advancement of the planning profession.|
|Address:||116 Albert Street - Suite 801
FAX: (613) 237-7045
|Please visit the website of the organization offering this internship to verify its application requirements prior to sending your resume.|
|Contact Person:||Elaine Hamelin-Mitchell|
|French Web Site:|
|English Web Site:||www.cip-icu.ca|
Kampala is one of the eight Cities that are currently implementing Local Programmes under the Urban Poverty and Environment (UPE) Program funded by IDRC. The goal of the 42 months Project in Kampala is to "improve urban livelihoods for poor communities in Kampala, through sustainable management and use of natural resources as well as enhanced institutional partnerships. The project intends to turn environmental burdens into livelihood benefits through a participatory process. Two Canadian planning interns have been hosted in the city of Kampala over the past two years. Based on the positive experiences learnt from these interns in the context of the Kyanja Edible landscape Project (KELP), Kampala, also funded by IDRC, and the objectives of the Focus City Research Initiative (FCRI) - Kampala, the Project Team strongly feels the need to have an intern attached to the FCRI.
Overseas Job Description:
· Collect and compile information on strategies to reduce the vulnerability to natural disasters such as flooding as well as on waste recycling and agriculture livelihood activities in the urban context of Kampala.
· Help with the organization of meetings with the community and local government officials, including providing renderings and panels, and preparing Power Point presentations for use by the Kampala FCRI Team during such meetings.
· Support the Kampala FCRI Team.
· Carry out field surveys and studies, interviews with different stakeholders, including residents and local administration officials, and will support policy development on solid and liquid waste management and activities such as urban agriculture (UA), recycling and agricultural businesses in Kampala.
· be a recent graduate of a master's program in the planning field or have a BA in planning and a master's in a complementary field;
· have a strong and demonstrated understanding of civil society involvement in local government and planning (skills related to group facilitation would be an asset);
· have a background in and appreciation of the urban design process
· have some work experience in local government (whether full-time or through study placements);
· be skilled in computer use (e.g., Windows, Microsoft office, email, internet etc.);
· have excellent English language communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to write concise and well-structured reports and to present orally;
· have a strong ability to work in a team environment with a results-based orientation
· and an ability to bring tasks and written reports to completion under tight deadlines;
· show an understanding of development issues in Eastern Africa / Horn of Africa and ideally in Uganda, and of the need to work with sensitivity and diplomacy in a foreign culture;
· be 30 years of age or under;
· be a member of CIP; or have initiated an application for membership;
· be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, and
· have no prior paid overseas work experience in professional planning
· not be registered to continue studies (eg courses, coop-terms or theses) during or
· after the internship; and
· have no previous participation in a YES international internship program.
|Host Organization:||Kampala City Council|
|Host Organization Details:|