|Organisation :||Mennonite Economic Development Associates|
|Type :||Organisme non gouvernemental|
|Mandat :||The mission of MEDA is to bring hope, opportunity and economic well being to low income people around the world through a business-oriented approach to development. In the developing world, we do this by offering affordable credit, together with marketing and business training, to low income entrepreneurs. MEDA's target group is the poorest of the economically active in the developing world.|
|Adresse :||155 Frobisher Drive, Suite I-106
FAX: (519) 725-9083
|Veuillez visiter le site Internet de l'organisation offrant ce stage pour connaître ses exigences avant de lui envoyer votre curriculum vitae.|
|Personne ressource :||Jennifer Helmuth|
|Site Web en français :|
|Site Web en anglais :||www.meda.org|
|Description du stage :||
MEDA is managing a four year multi-million dollar project funded through
CIDA to develop a robust fruit and vegetable processing sub-sector in the Sogd
region of Tajikistan. This project provides: agricultural technical assistance
and training; credit for agricultural development; and development of small and
medium sized businesses that process and market agricultural products.
The intern will be required to participate in the pre-departure orientation session at MEDA and to give a presentation of their work to MEDA staff upon their return to Canada after the internship assignment is complete.
The goal of this internship will be to support the activities of MEDA's program. Based on the current developments of the program upon arrival, the intern will focus the contribution towards the following activities:
- Perform a cost/benefit analysis of drip irrigation technologies being demonstrated to farmers by the program in up to four locations and contribute to a manual/catalogue on alternative irrigation schemes.
- Identify possible supply sources and interested distributors for drip irrigation equipment and other adapted technologies, and create linkages between farmers, distributors and suppliers.
- Help identify appropriate financing schemes for the set-up of an agri-input supply chain in cooperation with project staff and partners.
- Research and summarize approaches for producer group formation in Tajikistan. Develop training modules for group formation and support agricultural project staff and trainers to implement group formation and development schemes within the frame of their extension services.
- Analyze the results of the above activities and contribute to the development of further innovative approaches in rural development, which can be used for the project's phase two and for additional project proposals.
- Provide capacity-building support to AESO, the Association of Entrepreneurs and Business of Sogd Oblast region, and MEDA's agribusiness clients. Capacity-building tasks may include:
- Key event planning and organization (eg: industry interest group meetings; trade event)
- Design of promotional materials and tools (eg: brochures, website)
- Collect/provide information on international food safety standards and import requirements
- Prepare timely summary reports on work carried out, including critical analyses and recommendations, for Program management's further consideration, and share reports and lessons learned with MEDA headquarters' staff.
|Organisation d'accueil :||MEDA Tajikistan|
|Détails au sujet de l'organisation d'accueil :||MEDA Tajikistan is governed by the same mandate as MEDA, and has been operating a long term project funded through CIDA for the past three years. This project is developing the agricultural industry in the northern region of Tajikistan. MEDA Tajikistan has hosted one CIDA intern in Tajikistan, and many students and interns from local universities.|