|Organisation :||Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute|
|Type :||Établissement d'enseignement|
|Mandat :||The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute is a unique educational enterprise that promotes mutual awareness and understanding between India and Canada mainly through facilitating academic activities. The Institute funds research, links institutions in the two countries, and organizes seminars and conferences. These activities are carried out in partnership between the Institute's Canada Office and India Office.|
|Adresse :||1402 Education Tower
2500 University Drive N.W.
FAX: (403) 289-0100
|Veuillez visiter le site Internet de l'organisation offrant ce stage pour connaître ses exigences avant de lui envoyer votre curriculum vitae.|
|Personne ressource :||John Abraham|
|Description du stage :||
The project will operate from the Madras Christian College in Chennai.
The indian supervisor (Dr. D. Narasimhan) is a botanist located, in terms of
employment, at Madras Christian College and he is a founding member of the
steering committee of Centre for People and Ecosystems (CPPE).
The field work of the project will be in hill regions of the eastern and western ghats in Tamil Nadu where unique local communities live and practice mixed agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry and make use of the forest that surrounds and intermixes with the village communities there. The project builds on extensive experience that Dr. Narasimhan has developed over the years in observing and documenting ways in which local knowledge is used in lifestyle activities of these communities.
- Comprehensive survey of international development concepts and context that the project pivots, e.g. "local knowledge" and agriculture in South India.
- Familiarization with the results of the ongoing project completed so far.
- studying how local knowledge can be documented in ways that will be widely accessible but also ensuring that the communities are the principal beneficiaries of any applications that have a financial aspect
- examining ways in which linkages could be strengthened between the communities and local ngos and educational institutions
- finding how to use these linkages so that there is sharing and integration of the traditional knowledge with modern scientific knowledge with a view to better understanding on both sides
|Organisation d'accueil :||Madras Christian College|
|Détails au sujet de l'organisation d'accueil :||We are prepared to offer the best training in plant sciences that is relevant to the needs of the day and which appeals to the intellectual and vocational aspirations of the students of the present and coming generations.|